Overall I am happy with the vegetable garden. Having a daughter now takes priority over many gardening chores as well as maintaining the rest of our property. So unfortunately my outlook for my squash and zucchini/carrots isn't that great due to weeds...but I have well weeded the beans tomatoes and cucumbers and am being well-rewarded for it.
The bad: The Carrots seem to be a big disappointment. The plot has become overcome with weeds. I think I need to grow carrots in a raised bed to control weeds....or maybe an earth box.. (cringe)
Stupice: I am most elated regarding the Stupice tomato's rookie season in my backyard. LOTS of tomatoes appeared around the time of my cherries, and are growing rapidly.
Big Beef: Nice big healthy plants, but not even a teeny ball of a tomato yet.
Cukes: Steady....first couple are ready to be picked tomorrow.
Green Bush Beans: TOTAL JACKPOT. Switched to organic beans from Natural Gardening and we have huge bursting long greenbeans, fantastic eaten raw (I liked last years too but they didnt taste very good raw).
Pear trees: Growing very niceley even in the very warm summer we've had. We planted them in April (still dormant season) at the base of the hill.....too far to use the hose. I give them 3/4 of a bucket of water maybe once a week unless it rains hard and probably double that the first month or so, and they are doing well. I need to spray them though - they've still never been sprayed - no insect damage now though.
Raspberries: I have learned quite a bit. I have not figured out pruning yet, but I'm working on it. It seems all gardeners have different opinions on pruning raspberries. I do know that my grandmother forever has used and still uses her homegrown berries for jam (her jam is pure heaven you really have no idea) and she only cuts the canes down to the ground once a year, in the fall. Anyway, I have about ten 6 foot plants but no berries. It's a messy area. They were uncared for for around 3-4 years, but I could see the old clipper cuts on a lot of the dead wood I found last fall. I did make a lot of my own cuts around November last year trying to make some room and did also transplant some to the backyard. From talking to my grandmother, I gather that the problems this year are not enough water and crowding. She said in 2009 (the dark & rainy year with horrible tomato production)her raspberries did very well. That means they must love the wetness. Also, my grandmother has hers spaced out nicely, and adequately weeded, which I do not. The ones I put in the backyard get plenty of light but not enough water. The other spot with the 6ft plants needs more water (could use more sun too). These plants are also crowded and reside on the very edge of a semi-steep hill with some annoying brush and branches. ***I will someday transplant to a perfect, well-maintained sunny area where it is easy to care for them.
No comments:
Post a Comment